How to update Realtek drivers? This post shows how to update Realtek HD audio drivers quickly. The Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers are the default audio software for Windows 10. You can expand Device Manager’s Sound, video, and game controllers tree to reveal the Realtek High Definition Audio (SST) or Realtek HD hardware.
Update your Realtek HD audio drivers if your computer has no sound, sporadic sound, or no headphones. Let’s go right into how to update Realtek drivers on Windows 10 by following the steps below.
How to Update Realtek Drivers in Windows 10
Warning: Make a backup of your data just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: How to Update Realtek Drivers using Device Manager
- You can access the Device Manager by pressing the Windows key plus R, then typing devmgmt.msc and hitting Enter.
- You may update the driver for your Realtek High Definition Audio by expanding “Sound, video, and game controllers,” right-clicking “Realtek High Definition Audio,” and click “Update Driver.”
- Next, pick the option to find the latest drivers automatically.
- You should wait for the process to finish searching for updated sound drivers and then click Install to apply the updates if they are found. When you’ve completed making changes, select Close and restart the computer.
- A message reading “The appropriate driver software for your device is already installed” will appear instead of your driver being up to date.
- Since the drivers are current, there is no need to do anything further, and the window can be closed.
- When you’ve completed making adjustments, restart the machine.
If you still have problems after completing the steps above, update the drivers manually.
- If you need to update the driver for your Realtek High definition audio, go to Device Manager and right-click on it.
- Select the option to “Browse my computer for driver software” this time.
- Check the box labeled “Let me pick from a list of drivers already installed on this computer.”
- Once the correct driver has been chosen from the list, click Next.
- When you’re finished installing the drivers, you should restart the computer.
Method 2: Download and Install the Realtek Audio Driver from OEM Manufacturers
If you still have problems after completing the steps above, update the drivers manually from Realtek website.
- Open up your web browser of choice and get on over here.
- After clicking the link, go to the download page and look for “PC Audio Codecs” to find the most recent driver.
- Download the proper driver for your computer’s architecture.
- If you can’t find the AC’97 Audio Codecs Software or the High Definition Audio Codecs Software driver, you’ll need to install one.
- Please note that while the AC’97 Audio Codecs are sufficient for most users, you must download the High Definition Audio Codecs if you have a newer system.
- You can install the most recent Realtek High Definition Audio drivers by double-clicking the downloaded setup file and following the on-screen instructions.
Method 3: Update the Realtek audio driver automatically
- To access Update & Security, press the Windows Key + I key combination.
- After that, choose “Check for updates” under the Update status heading.
- Restart your machine after installing any available updates.
Method 4: Add a Legacy hardware
- When you press the Windows key plus R, the first thing you should type is “devmgmt.msc” (without the quotes), and then hit Enter to open Device Manager.
- Click Action > Add legacy hardware in Device Manager, then choose Sound, video, and gaming controllers.
- In the following window, select the option to “Automatically search for and install the hardware (recommended)” before clicking “Next.”
- A system restart is required to apply the new drivers and settings permanently.
If you have any questions about how to update Realtek drivers in Windows 10, post them below.